Saturday, December 27, 2008

The week that was..

A lot has happened in my life this week. I found a couple of Pakistani places in Hong Kong. One of them is a grocery store, which also sells Bollywood DVD's @ HK$15 a piece (roughly INR 110/-). The supply gets refreshed within a week of any movies release in India. And what more, its just about 10mins walk from where I live. This was a very significant event, because prior to this, I had not seen a Bollywood movie "properly" since I moved to HK (I saw Chak De India, but that was on YOUTUBE.. Part 1 to Part 11.. spread over 3 days. None watched on a DVD or in a theatre). Even when I was in New York, I think Lagge Raho Munnabhai was the only Bollywood movie I saw in the 2 years I spent there. I obviously have a lot to catch up on.

Anyways.. so the 2nd Pakistani place I found this week was a road side curry shop, which also made some "great" parathas. This place is again about 10mins from where I live. I started of with some chicken curry for lunch.. and fell in love with it. There was nothing stopping me from going back to that place for dinner. This time I ordered a Banana Paratha.. which was SOAKED in oil. It was delicious. No, seriously! Only problem was that next day morning, I woke up with a sore throat... and a day later, I was having viral fever!! I left Mumbai about 4 years back.. and since then I have had fever only once when I was in New York. So this was again a very significant event! And what timing.. just a day before Christmas. I suspect that dude was recycling oil which was about 2-3 days old.

Fortunately for me, it was a quiet week on the work front. So I took 2 "half-days". (I still had to work on 25-Dec because China, Vietnam and Taiwan were open!). With so much time on hand and fever which kept reappearing every 6 hours or so.. there was nothing stopping me from watching Taare Zameen Par (yeah, I had not seen this one yet), Wednesday (mom's recommendation - the recommendation had its routes in the recent terror strikes in Mumbai), Dostana (I had to pick between Dostana and Rab Ne Bana Di.. picked the former because I like Priyanka Chopra and I hate SRK), Sorry Bhai (great performances by Boman and Shabana Azmi) and lastly, Oye Lucky Luck Oye! (the best of all!)..

I havent stopped here and am looking for recommendations.... so please send them over to me. And did I say, Australias loss to South Africa at the waca has made this week that much more eventful!? :)

Merry Christmas! (圣诞快乐!) and a Happy New Year! (新年快乐!)

4 comments:

Unknown said...

chicken curry and oil dipped parathas ...... hmm.... i miss really good Indian food ....i hate seattle ..... did u watch dasvidaniya ?

Tarun Makhija said...

It was good man. Except for the fuckin oil. And it was Jayesh who showed me this place. If you see him around, just give him a kick on his butt. Not see dasvidaniya, but now that u have mentioned, I will get it today!

Anonymous said...

I love your sharing on the DVD and Food expedition! I am just bak from Beijing. BJ is cool!

Happy new year! May 2009 brings u much joy and success!

Cheers,
Karen L

Tarun Makhija said...

Thanks Karen... send us your BJ photos! and yeah, Happy New Year to you too :)